Podiatrists are qualified by a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (D.P.M.) degree, licensed by the state, and they practice within the scope of that license. Podiatrists diagnose and treat foot diseases and deformities. They perform medical, surgical and other operative procedures, prescribe corrective devices and prescribe and administer drugs and physical therapy.
Commonly treated conditions by podiatrist are:
- Arthritis, instability, pain, joint diseases
- Calluses and ingrown toenails
- Chronic wounds associated with diabetes or other illnesses
- Deformities of the feet (bunions, hammertoes)
- Fallen arches
- Heel pain, bone spurs, neuromas and plantar fasciitis.